I've mentioned that I'm working with the Goodwood Plantation on an exhibit they're doing as a fundraiser. One of the dresses they want to display is a lace wedding gown. When we were looking at it, we noticed a few holes in the lace. I said that I'd reinforce them before we used the dress.
When I laid the dress out and started studying it, There were more than a few holes. The button band was torn along its entire length, and the back between the collar and shoulder was rather shredded.
Needless to say, this is fussy work--the trick is to put a piece of fine nylon net (tulle) under the tear, and then gently tack the lace to to tulle. Problem is--as soon as you put the tulle under the lace, the hole disappears. You have to gently rub a fingernail under the edge of the fabric to feel where the tear is as you sew.
But a few hours later I'm almost finished, and have to say that I'm quite pleased--I've managed to make the tears disappear.
Thank goodness for clamp-on lights and magnifying glasses!