I wanted something skull-like, something beastly looking. Problem is--skulls are very complicated--you can't just make a pattern and have it look like anything. You really have to sculpt them. And I can't sculpt.
But the nice thing about working alone in my cottage is that no one sees what I'm doing--so if I really mess up it doesn't matter. So I got out a pig skull for reference (doesn't everyone keep a collection of skulls on hand) and stuck a wig head on a flowerpot for a base. I had a roll of aluminum foil and some hot glue and glued loose balls of foil together and started pushing them around. And lo and behold--I eventually had something that looked vaguely like a pig skull. (RATS! The picture is on my phone in the other room--and I can't go get it because Dingo the flying squirrel is happily snuggled up under my shirt--so picture a wad of aluminum foil that sort of looks like a pig skull)
Then I started cutting up pieces of worbla (that plastic-sawdust stuff that I like to work with) and sticking them on. Lo and behold--I ended up with a pretty darned good-looking skull.
The teeth and tusks are also worbla, but made with flour rather than sawdust.
I really liked it at this stage--but to be a mask it needed a bit more ooph. I added some horns.
Which amuse me because they're made of small plastic drinking cups glued together. Then I painted some highlights and shadows and a bit of blood and glued the whole thing to a ball cap so I could wear it and added some shaggy stuff to hide myself.
And then for something completely different, I made something light and funny. A friend wants to be a toucan for Halloween, so I came up with a toucan mask--a yellow ball cap, some craft foam, and a bit of black felt.
My learning challenge on this one was to paint it with an airbrush--something I need to practice but it's fun. And my friend really liked it (so did everyone else when I took it in to work--there was mirth and merriment all around.
Meanwhile, back on the farm (or at least the front of the barn) the carport is in!. After all our prep--having the junk stored there hauled off, having a tree cut down (and cutting, splitting, and stacking it), hauling sand to level it and compacting with The Beast--the actual installation took about an hour. I've never seen four people work so fast without getting in each other's way. Ta Dah!