Monday, September 9, 2013

Museum Exhibit

I've always loved museums.  I love the past, the present, the concepts for the future.  I love wandering around displays.

And, as has been seen in some previous blog posts, sometimes I get to do displays.  So when I heard that an art history student was planning on doing a display of pre-Columbian Peruvian pottery I contacted her with "y'know--I've got some pre-Columbian Peruvian textiles in my collection."  Sort of elbowed my way into her project.

The project had that rare things going for it--a perfect committee.  The whole thing was Liz's idea, and she designed it, chose the pottery, and did the pictures and text panels for the walls. (this was part of her program for her Master's degree).  We had the help of Wayne, the museum preparator, who knows how to arrange cases, do lighting, and, in general, how to make things look good.   I supplied the textiles and a pair of objective eyes for the arrangement of the pieces.


If I may say so myself--the display is lovely.  It's actually difficult to get some good pictures, as the overall effect is soft and serene.  In a serene
way--it was very exciting to work on this, mainly because of the age of the objects.  As "Pre-Columbian Peruvian" covers a *lot* of geography and time, Liz decided to narrow the focus down to the Nazca era--which meant that the pieces we were handling were 1500 to 2000 years old.  It makes you be very very careful.







 



It's also exciting that this is a bona-fide, accredited fine arts museum--and my name is on the wall as a co-curator of a display.  I feel like I've arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment