Sunday, June 13, 2010

Silly Birds

Little Carolina wrens--will nest anywhere.  I had hung the nest bag on a plant hanger for a squirrel that I had evicted from the release cage (six months after I released him.  He'd play in the woods by day and sleep at home at night).  But I needed the cage for the next litter that had come along.  I don't think he ever slept in it, but some wrens thought it would be a good spot for a nest.  You can also see in the background where they did actually use a bird house--by building a nest on top of it!
Today I saw that the wren was carrying a bug rather than nesting material--so I sneaked a peek.  These guys are only a few days old.  With Mom bringing bugs about every 15 minutes from dawn to dusk, they'll be ready to fledge in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment