Saturday, June 12, 2010

Blooming

The seeds that I planted in the butterfly garden have sprouted enthusiastically and are starting to bloom.

I'd like to say that it's a pleasant place to sit with a glass of iced tea and a book.  Alas--I can handle the record high heat (high 90's) but can't quite deal with the record number of biting flies.  I dash out for a five-minute admiration but that's about it. 

The poor things are growing in almost pure sand.  I did rototill in about 10 5-gallon buckets of compost when we set it up.  Border's bookstore put out their used coffee grounds for gardners, so I spread those around.  It will take awhile to have anything that resembles soil.

And we had to chase a coyote out of the yard who was eyeing our chickens.  A friend says we should call ourselves Mutual of Omaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment