Monday, August 21, 2017

Playing with the Eclipse

As anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the last couple of months now, there was a solar eclipse today.  Alas, we did not see a totality--I am not fond enough of traffic jams and huge crowds to have driven the 300 miles to see that (with no guarantee of decent weather and really no guarantee of a decent clean toilet)

We were facing this day with some trepidation--we are now in our standard weather pattern of clouding up and raining in the early afternoon--say, from about 2:00-3:00-which of course was the time scheduled for the eclipse.  One o'clock came, along with the beginning of the afternoon clouds.  The eclipse began, and we watched the solar fan dance as the sun slipped in and out, showing a tiny bite taken out of the edge.  Then, mirabile dictu , the skies cleared.  We watched (with proper protection, of course) as most of the sun slowly disappeared (we got about 86% of totality).  But while the rest of the country was looking up, I was looking down.  I find it fascinating that the tree leaves will act like hundreds of pinhole cameras, casting crescent shadows.  I had my camera (did not take pictures of the eclipse itself because I don't have the proper filters) and a piece of poster board that I would drop below various trees and bushes and snap pictures.



 
Then, gradually, the sun returned--which we didn't watch because within 20 minutes of totality, the clouds rolled in and blotted out everything.  I'm OK with that--I am just amazed and grateful that they cleared for that one precious hour.
 
 
Meanwhile, back at the farm (as the saying goes), a couple of weeks ago came that time that any rehabber/ wild critter foster parent achieve the goal that they dread: time to release.  This is what it's all about--returning them to the wild.  It's  so hard after caring for them.   So I fed the foxes one evening, and when I walked out, I left the cage door open behind me.
 

(not sure if that video will show--I tried to make it a smaller file but it's still having problems loading)   If it doesn't load, use your imagination and visualize a fox leaving the cage.

Hard as it is to let them go, the cool thing is that they're still hanging around.  I put out food for them, and set up the video camera, and all three of them are still looking pretty  good.  Eventually they'll wander off, but for now it's good to know that they'll come get some dinner while they're learning how to hunt for themselves. 

Reading:  Microshelters.  Bob picked this up while we were at the Tractor Supply store.  Basically it's riding on the tiny house movement, only these are *really* small, meant to be used as backyard retreats or lake cabins.  While I personally could never live tiny (I need my stuff) I love the creativity that goes into these little builds.


No comments:

Post a Comment