Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tiny Big Challenge

Got a call from a friend with the cry for help I've heard before--"I found a baby squirrel--what do I do??"  And, of course, what they do is meet me somewhere and hand it over.  He had told me that it had to be a newborn because it was so tiny.  I asked if it had fur yet--yes, just barely.  That makes is about two weeks old, so I was expecting "tiny" to be about 2 1/2 inches long.

I was off by about an inch.  I saw this impossibly little thing, and my first thought was "dwarf"??  Then I peered closer and saw the little flaps from wrist to ankle.  Wee baby flying squirrel. I don't know how he even spotted it on the ground.

 
 
He's so little it's scary.  Tips the scales at 10 grams (1/3 ounce).  But so far, so good.  He scared me after the first couple of feedings--as soon as his little tummy is full, he immediately goes sound asleep.
 

 
I must really enjoy 2:00 a.m.   I keep finding excuses to get up.   Mostly to go feed something.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment