Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tiny Miracles--Look Before They're gone

Been rather busy the last couple of weeks--several programs for the museum, prepping for a pre-Columbian ceramic and textile exhibit (more on that later) and still working with the hawk.   But one still must take time for the little miracles of life.

The wrens who usually nest on the back deck were late this year.  I thought perhaps we wouldn't have any--but then I spotted the nest.  I have a dismantled pet carrier out there on a table, with the lid askew on the bottom (yeah--cleaning that up and putting it back together has been on the "things to do list" for awhile) and she tucked it inside there.  It's in an awkward position for viewing--I have to stick the camera in there, snap a shot, and then look at the picture to see what's happening.  It's amazing--almost like time-lapse photography.

On  July 1--my first sight of eggs (look at the very front of the nest).

And here's mother wren hunkered down on the nest.  Obviously I couldn't stick the camera in her face, so I had to back off several feet and use the zoom.  She looks a bit grumpy.



On July 7, my first shot of a baby bird.  OK--so some miracles ain't too pretty.


 Then I got busy for a few days and forgot to go stick my camera in there.  Well--not really--but I would remember after the sun was going down and I didn't want to disturb the mother on the nest.  I have to sneak a quick shot while she's out getting bugs.  I was shocked when I took the picture--I thought it had only been a few days, but it obviously had been quite some time.  I double-checked my dates--and it was five days later.  From the little guy above to this one--in five days.  I can't quite believe it.  I think there are three crowded in there.




If you zoom in a bit, you'll see a strange scaly thing in front of the baby.  The mother decided to decorate the nest with a bit of shed lizard skin.  If you zoom more and look in the back, there's a peacock feather.  She is into interior design.

And here's today--two days later.





They'll be gone in the next few days.  I'm happy they were here again this year.  Miracles do not care about human schedules--they will happen whether we see them or not.  I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment