Thursday, July 8, 2010

Domesticity, Demons, and Diminutive

We had enough cold weather this past winter that the plum trees bore fruit.  We didn't eat much of it because Bob is a big fan of plum jelly so he hoarded the plums in the freezer until we had enough for a couple of batches.

I baked a loaf of bread the same day.  Bread and jelly is such a simple thing--a nursery snack--but in this day and age few people have ever had real bread with real jelly.

It reminded me of when Mom would time her bread baking so that the loaves were coming out of the oven just when Mike and I got home from school.  Poor Dad would come home a couple of hours later to a home that was still wafty with the scent of fresh bread--but not a crumb left, and a wife and two kids too full to be interested in dinner.

Starting to plan the Halloween trail now.  Yesterday I was talking to Thomas--one of the guys who does the haunted maze.  He is looking for a source of cheap mannequins to dress in robes (there will be real people mixed in with them).  "Cheap" is the operative word.  I told him that he didn't need anything realistic--the human psyche is hardwired to interpret anything even vaguely human as a person (the same hardwiring causes us to see human faces in clouds, tree bark, and any two dots and a line).  To prove my point (and I'll need some wraiths myself anyway) I knocked this together.  Amazing what a couple of old sheets can accomplish:



CRITTER DU JOUR

And it's that season again.  Got a call last night from a friend whose neighbor found a baby squirrel.  This little girl is probably about a week old and so far is doing well.  And yes--that's a quarter beside her.  Now I have to try to find a couple more so she won't be on her own.  Looks like 2 a.m. feedings for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment